Vokins was an art dealer.
Vokins became a leading dealer, and a noted judge of English watercolours. Up to 1858 he had a shop in John Street, off Oxford Street; then at 14 and 16 Great Portland Street and 10 King Street, Pall Mall. It was about 1863 that Whistler was in contact with Vokins. In 1864, Vokins, John and William Vokins, carvers and gilders, and dealers in works of art, had their shop at 14 and 16 Great Portland Street (late 5 John Street) from 1860-1862, plus one at 3 Great Castle Street, Oxford Street by 1864.
The firm was still in existence in 1900 as A. Vokins and Sons, 'printsellers, fine art dealers, carvers, gilders, looking-glass and picture frame and moulding manufacturers, regilding done in every branch', at 16 Holborn and 2 Leather Lane, London.
Kelly's London Post office Directory, London, 1860-1864, 1900.