James Lewis was an auctioneer. In 1877 he changed his name by deed poll from James Levy to Lewis.
Lewis was partner in the firm of auctioneers and estate agents James Lewis & Co. of 5 Southampton Buildings and 17 Clement's Inn, London. At JW's bankruptcy in 1879 they made a detailed inventory and evaluation of the contents of the White House, prepared a catalogue and sold the items (#11929).
Times, London, 7 July 1877, p. 1.