Cecil Gordon Lawson was a painter. In the summer of 1879 he married the painter Constance Philip, who was the younger sister of Whistler's wife Beatrix.
At first, Lawson painted detailed oil studies of fruit and flowers, but he later became a landscape painter. He was also known as a watercolourist. In 1882 his address was next door to that of Dante Gabriel Rossetti at 15 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea. He was nominated a member of The Arts Club on 16 June 1876, being proposed by Hubert von Herkomer seconded by Charles Samuel Keene. He shared a studio, owned by Mrs J. B. Philip, with Constance, at Merton Villa, 280A Kings Road. It was subsequently occupied by the sculptor Thomas Sterling Lee.
Gosse, Edmond W., Cecil Lawson: A Memoir, exhibition catalogue, Fine Art Society, London, 1883; Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980; Walkley, Giles, Artists' houses in London 1764-1914, Aldershot, 1994; MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995.