Léon-Ambroise Gauthier was a portrait, landscape and genre painter.
Gauthier was a pupil of Picot at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts from 1841. He exhibited at the Salon from 1844 to 1879. He received an honorable mention in 1863.
In 1858 he was registered as living at 13 Rue Oratoire de Roule, but had moved by 1859. His principal address from the 1860s onwards was 4 Rue de Miromesnil. He was still registered there in 1898.
In July 1863 Henri Fantin-Latour made mention of the students of Picot, whose works had been accepted at the Salon, to JW, condescendingly referring to them as allies of the establishment (#01078).
Bénézit, E., Dictionnaire des Peintres, Sculpteurs, Dessinateurs et Graveurs, 8 vols, Paris, 1956-61.