Colonel Sir Robert William Edis was an architect.
Edis' architectural practice was based in London where he was Colonel of the Artists Corps of Volunteers. His designs include 100 Picadilly (1883), the Constitutional Club (1884) and the Grand Central Railway Hotel, Marylebone Station (1897-99). He was also involved in the alterations to Liverpool Street Station Hotel (ca 1901) and was the architect of Glasgow's Conservative Club (1893-4). He was the author of Decoration and Furniture of Town Houses (1881) and was knighted in 1919.
A Robert W. Edis of 14 Fitzroy Square was included in a list by JW that may have been a guest list for the private view of JW's 1874 Pall Mall exhibition or a subscription list for JW's Venice etchings as proposed in 1876 (#12714). This may have been the architect Robert William Edis or possibly Colonel Robert Wilkie Edis, who was a member of The Arts Club from 1863 to 1903.
In 1881 JW signed the lease for rooms on Tite Street, designed Robert William Edis. However, he expressed disatisfaction with their furnishing, meals and Edis' so-called 'modern appliances' (#02391). In 1886 JW described him as not being 'fit to have sharpened Godwin's pencils' (#02467).
However, Robert Wilkie Edis is referred to in a far more positive light in JW's correspondence, and so is the more likely person to have been mentioned in #12714. This Edis signed, along with JW, a petition to The Arts Club committee requesting that, during the sitting of Parliament, Parliamentary and General Telegraphic dispatches should be sent to the Club (#01336).
www.glasgowsculpture.com; The Grove Dictionary of Art Online, ed. L. Macy, http://www.groveart.com (accessed 2003).