John Archibald Campbell was a Glasgow architect.
Campbell was apprenticed to John Burnet and Sons from 1877 to 1880. He then studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris from 1880 to 1883. In 1885 he won the Tite Prize and in 1895 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects. He entered into partnership with J. J. Burnet in Glasgow from 1886 to 1897. They were responsible for the design of Barony Church in Castle Street, Glasgow in 1886 and of the impressive and unorthodox Athenaeum Theatre in Buchanan Street in 1891. Campbell also worked with A. D. Hislop shortly before his death.
Campbell exhibited at the Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts and at the Royal Scottish Academy from 1886 to 1909. The Special Collections of Glasgow University Library has a large group of drawings by him.
Campbell was among those Glasgow painters and architects who in 1891 appended their names to a list requesting that the Corporation of Glasgow buy JW's Arrangement in Grey and Black, No. 2: Portrait of Thomas Carlyle (YMSM 137) (#12326).
Johnson, J. and A. Greutzner, Dictionary of British Artists 1880-1940, Woodbridge, 1980; McEwan, Peter J. M., Dictionary of Scottish Art and Architecture, Woodbridge, 1994.