He was the brother of AMW's brother-in-law (Dr George E. Palmer).
He went to New York at a young age and became involved in the hardware business. He realized a large fortune, which he subsequently invested in real estate. His property included the land on which the Manhattan Market was built, valuable property on 13th Street, Broadway and Fourth Avenue, and a large amount of land in Cleveland, Ohio. He was one time president of the Stonington Railroad, and a director of the Safe Deposit Company.
'Obituary of Courtland Palmer,' New York Times, 12 May 1874, vol. 23, no. 7067, p. 1.