Alfred Hartley was a painter and etcher. He married the flower and domestic painter Nora Hartley.
Hartley studied at the Royal College of Art and at the Westminster School of Art under Professor Brown, along with Frampton and Anning Bell. He was also a pupil of Sir Frank Short and the etcher C. J. Watson. He became known for his portrait, landscape and genre paintings, and for his etchings in line and aquatint. He famously painted the portraits of Lord Randolph Churchill and Lord Russell of Killowen.
Hartley was an active exhibitor from 1885, showing in London at the Royal Academy, Royal Institute of Oil Painters, Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours, Royal Society of Portrait Painters, Grosvenor Gallery, New Gallery, Royal Society of British Artists, Fine Art Society, Abbey Gallery, New English Art Club and International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, as well as at the Royal Society of Artists in Birmingham, Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, Royal Hibernian Academy, Leicester Gallery, Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool and Manchester City Art Gallery.
In 1890 Hartley was elected a member of the Royal Society of British Artists, a Society of which JW had been President from 1886 and 1888. He became an associate of the Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers in 1894 and a full member in 1897. The Royal Institute of Oil Painters elected him a member of their organisation in 1899. He was also a member of The Arts Club from 1891 to 1894.
Hartley was amongst those proposed invitees to a dinner organised by W. C. Symons to congratulate JW on becoming an Honorary Member of the Royal Academy of Munich, a dinner which was to be held at the Criterion in Piccadilly on 1 May 1889 (#00631).
Bénézit, E., Dictionnaire des Peintres, Sculpteurs, Dessinateurs et Graveurs, 8 vols, Paris, 1956-61; Wood, Christopher, Dictionary of Victorian Artists, Woodbridge, 1971; Johnson, J., and Anna Gruetzner, Dictionary of British Artists 1880-1940, Woodbridge, 1980 Walkley, Giles, Artists' houses in London 1764-1914, Aldershot, 1994.