James Whitelaw Hamilton was a landscape painter.
Hamilton studied in Glasgow and Paris. He exhibited widely, at the Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts, the Royal Scottish Academy, the Royal Scottish of Painters in Watercolours and elsewhere. In 1887 he was elected a member of the New English Art Club (a group with which JW exhibited in 1888) and of the RSW in 1895. He became a full member of the RSA in 1922. He was also a member of the Society of 25 Artists.
Who was who: a companion to Who's who, London, vol. 3; Johnson, J., and Anna Greutzner, Dictionary of British Artists 1880-1940, Woodbridge, 1980.