Otto and Richard Gutekunst were the sons of an auctioneer in stuttgart. Otto was an art dealer, and became a naturalised British citizen, living in Streatham, London.
Gutekunst was the partner of Edmund Deprez in the firm of Deprez and Gutekunst. They had a gallery during the 1890s near Charing Cross Road, London. Gutekunst was also taken into partnership with Colnaghi's by William McKay in 1894. He was in business contact with JW throughout the 1890s and JW seems to have valued and trusted him. A brother, Richard, was the proprietor of a firm of printseller and valuers [#09793, #00951]. The firm exhibited JW's etchings during the early 1900s. Otto Gutekunst retired to Switzerland in 1939.
UK Census, 1901; Lugt, Frits, Les marques de collections de dessins et d'estampes: marques estampillèes et écrites de collections particulières et publiques; marques de marchands, de monteurs et d'imprimeurs; etc..., Amsterdam, 1921, no. 2213a; exhibition catalogues, Deprez and Gutekunst, (London: National Art Library, Victoria and Albert Museum).