Henry Hugh Armstead was a sculptor, designer and etcher.
Armstead studied at the Royal Academy Schools, and was a painter and silversmith, producing many racing cups, before turning to sculpture at the age of 34. He was active exhibiting from 1851, showing mainly busts and reliefs, at the Royal Academy in London, Manchester City Art Gallery and Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool.
He was commissioned to design a group of allegorical figures (Chemistry, Astronomy, Medicine and Rhetoric) for the Albert Memorial and carved panels for the Queen's Robing Room at the Palace of Westminster. Others works include a bronze statue of the Count of Pembroke, a statue of Henri VI for a fountain at the royal college in Cambridge, and the bronze figures of David, Moses and St Paul for the Abbey of Westminster. His bronze Remorse was bought by the Chantrey Bequest in 1903.
He was a friend of JW's father-in-law, the sculptor John Birnie Philip.
In 1875 he elected an associate of the Royal Academy, becoming a full member in 1879. He was also a member of The Arts Club from 1883 to 1895. In 1892 Armstead visited JW's exhibition Nocturnes, Marines and Chevalet Pieces being held at the Goupil Gallery in London and greatly admired the works on show (#05718).
Post Office Directory of the Building Trades, London, 1870; The Annual Register, London, 1905, p. 150; Chelsea, Pimlico and Belgravia Directory, London, 1881 et seq.; Bénézit, E., Dictionnaire des Peintres, Sculpteurs, Dessinateurs et Graveurs, 8 vols, Paris, 1956-61; Johnson, J. and A. Gruetzner, Dictionary of British Artists 1880-1940, Woodbridge, 1980.