Publications from 1992
Collections of Correspondence
- Whistler on Art. Selected Letters and Writing, 1849-1903, of James McNeill Whistler, ed. Nigel Thorp (Manchester, 1994; Washington D.C., 1995).
- With Kindest Regards: The Correspondence of Charles Lang Freer and James McNeill Whistler, ed. Linda Merrill (Washington D.C. & London, 1995).
- Whistler, Women and Fashion, Margaret F. MacDonald, Susan Grace Galassi & Aileen Ribeiro with Patricia de Montfort (The Frick Collection, New York
in association with Yale University Press, New Haven and London 2003).
- Tracing Line Through Time: A Whistler Centenary Exhibition, ed. Catherine Carter Goebel (Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois, 2002).
- Whistler and Sickert, Essays by Wendy Baron, Andrew Dempsey, Margaret F. MacDonald, Patricia de Montfort and Jesusa Vega (Fundaçion "La Caixa," Madrid, 1998)
- The Society of Three, Alphonse Legros, Henri Fantin-Latour, James McNeill Whistler, Jane Munro and Paul Stirton (Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, 1998).
- Whistler and Holland, Margaret F. MacDonald and J. F. Heijbroek (Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam & Waanders, Zwolle, 1997).
- Beatrice Whistler, Artist & Designer, Margaret F. MacDonald (Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow, 1997).
- Whistler & Montesquiou: The Butterfly & the Bat, Edgar Munhall (New York & Paris, 1995).
- James McNeill Whistler, Richard Dorment & Margaret F. MacDonald (London: Tate Gallery 1994, Washington D.C.: National Gallery of Art, 1995).
- The Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler: A Catalogue Raisonné, Nesta R. Spink, Harriet K. Stratis and Martha Tedeschi; with contributions by David Kiehl, Katherine A. Lochnan and Nicholas Smale and with the assistance of Britt Salvesen. Includes edition of the correspondence between Whistler, Thomas Way and T.R. Way, ed. Nicholas Smale (Art Institute of Chicago, 1998).
- James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours: A Catalogue Raisonné, Margaret F. MacDonald (New Haven, 1995).
- Whistler's Mother: An American Icon, Edited by Margaret F. MacDonald, Kevin Sharp, Martha Tedeschi, Georgia Toutziari and William Vaughan (Lund Humphries, Aldershot, Hampshire, 2003).
- Japonisme in Britain: Whistler, Menpes, Henry, Hornel and the Nineteenth-Century Japan, Ayako Ono (London: Routledge Curzon, 2003).
- Palaces in the Night: Whistler in Venice, Margaret F. MacDonald (Aldershot, 2001).
- Whistler's Venice, Alastair Grieve (New Haven & London, 2000).
- An Indolent and Blundering Art? The Etching Revival and the Redefinition of Etching in England 1838-1892, Emma Chambers (Ashgate Scolar Press, 1999).
- The Peacock Room, Linda Merrill (Freer Gallery of Art & New Haven, 1998).
- Diabolical Designs, Deanna Marohn Bendix (Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C. and London, 1995).
- A Pot of Paint: Aesthetics on Trial in Whistler v. Ruskin, Linda Merrill (Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C. and London, 1992).
Journals and Articles
Vol. 1, 1999, edited by Nigel Thorp, contains the proceedings of the Whistler Colloquium held at the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., in June 1995.
List of contents:
- Emma Chambers, Etching from Nature: Images of the Urban and Rural Thames in the Work of Whistler and Haden.
- John Siewert, Whistler's Landscape and the Challenge of the Open Air.
- Joyce Hill Stoner, Textures and Friendship: Canvas Weave Patterning and other Surface Characteristics in Works by Whistler and the 'Société des Trois'.
- Catherine Carter Goebel, The Brush and the Baton: Influences on Whistler's Choice of Musical Terms for his Titles.
- Patricia de Montfort, The Gentle Art - An Artistic Autobiography?
- Avis Berman, Whistler and the Man of Wax: The Artist and George Moore.
- Lee Glazer, Reopening the Whistler Question at the 1904 Memorial Exhibition.
- Joseph Winans, The Reception of Whistler's Art and Aesthetics by August Macke.
Vol. 2, 2003, edited by Martha Tedeschi and Nigel Thorp, contains the papers given at the Whistler symposium at the Art Institute of Chicago in June 1998.
List of contents:
- Nesta Spink, Selling Artists’ Lithographs: The Case of Whistler’s ‘Art Notes’.
- Margaret MacDonald, Palaces in the Night: Selection and Symbolism in Whistler’s Prints.
- Harriet Stratis, Whistler’s Prints and Their Transfer Papers: A Technical Study.
- Nicholas Burry Smale, Venus Transformed: Lithographs and Pastels of the 1890s.
- Katharine Lochnan, ‘Picturesque Grandeur and Noble Dignity’: Whistler and the Historic Preservation Movement.
Britt Salvesen, ‘Ennobling Processes’: Redefining Photography and Printmaking at the Turn of the Century.
- Avis Berman, Scenes and Portraits: The Lithographs and Whistler’s Literary Life.
- Patricia de Montfort, Whistler and Heinemann: Adventures in Publishing in the 1890s.
- Catherine Carter Goebel, Mr Whistler and His Critics: “Out of Their Own Mouths Shall Ye Judge Them.”